1) Plan your bathroom so that all the members of your family will enjoy it. Keep the safety of your children in mind when choosing your flooring and lighting.
2) Keep the existing service points in mind when planning your bathroom as rewiring and re-plumbing takes a lot of time and money.
3) Think about what you want to do with your window. Maximise the amount of light that comes in without having to suffer from glare.
4) Plan enough different types of storage. Shelving for products for every day use, cupboards for occasionally used products and towels, and bins for laundry. In families, plan also storage for typical children's bathroom accessories and toys.
5) Decide whether you have the space to install a separate shower enclosure or a shower above the bath. A separate shower will take more space, but two people can use the bathroom at the same time.
6) For larger families, a second cloakroom would come in very handy, especially in the morning when everybody needs to get ready at the same time.